Monday, August 9, 2010

Where's My Jackknife??

External Conflict

"Lee Strunk and Dave Jenson got into a fistfight. It was about something stupid-a missing jackknife- but even so the fight was viscious." (pg. 62)

When I think of a soldier, I see men and women not smiling with total self-control and self-discipline. That was the stereotype that was always with me, even as a child. In this passage I was astonished to learn the total lack of trust and loss of self control that over took Jenson and Strunk. I guess that is what O'Brien is trying to show the readers. He is trying to show us what "real" war is. What really goes on and the conflicts that erupt between two soldiers that need to work together and trust each other. This external conflict sent Lee Strunk into a craze. To be unable to trust a person that is on your side would send anyone mad!

No comments:

Post a Comment