Sunday, August 8, 2010

Comfort in Violence

"Finally one of his buddies asks what happened with then use, why so hot for combat, and the guys says,' All that peace, man, it felt so good it hurt. I want to hurt it back.'" (pg. 5)

This just stuck out at me because to get to the point where peace is just too good that one cannot become assimilated with it, to get to that point to me, would be hell. It makes me think these soldiers were so use to discomfort and pain that they began to find joy and comfort in these violence of war. They begin to think all the time in "war mode" and to be out of it is like being a foreign country without knowing the language. O'Brien had used an example that women will just can't understand because they haven't seen a war. Well, with the knowledge that this is what could happen then I guess I'm glad to know being a soldier is not for me, not because I am a woman, but because I know I could never become comfortable with war.

No comments:

Post a Comment