Sunday, August 8, 2010

A REAL Soldier

"'Right,' I said. He got into his car and rolled down the window.
'Make me out to be a good guy, okay? Brave and handsome, all that stuff. Best platoon leader ever.' He hesitated a second. 'And do me a favor. Don't mention anything about-'
'No,' I said, 'I won't'" (pg. 30)

In this passage you realize that soldiers do not always make the right decision or even if they did the best they could there will always be that guilt. It will eat at you and then the reader realizes that there is an Antihero portrayed in this story. Jimmy Cross is not the strongest platoon leader and didn't always make good enough decisions. He is not always strong and brazen and ready for battle. He is the epitome of a real human being, flaws and all. And Lavender's death will always live with him.

No comments:

Post a Comment