Monday, February 28, 2011

DO I sense some favortism

So while reading the story I was angered at how the parents really ignored Happy. He was described as as exuding "raw sexuality" and seemed to have a good relationship with his brother, Biff, so i assumed both parents would love them equally. Well I was extremely wrong because the entire story seems to revolve around Willy and Biff's relationship. Yes Willy is the central character and we the readers watch while he falls into delusions but he always talks about Biff. I mean even Linda ignores Happy when he says "I think I'm getting married mom." All LInda does in reply is ok well get some rest!!! I feel like there is a significance in the way Happy is treated but I do not see it. I know he is very selfish and even disowns his own father in public but he almost has a reason to. When Willy was off admiring Biff all happy wants is to be acknowledged on if his father sees he is losing weight. There is the image of perfection that seems to be the main point in the story. The family must appear perfect to the outside world. they must be on top in all that they do. And in the end Happy the child who was clearly not the favorite is the one that wants to be on top in the business world for his father. The very reason his father went insane and Biff is the only one who seems to understand and see that.

No comments:

Post a Comment